In honor of Cinco de Mayo (or Cinco de Cuatro for the Arrested Development fans), I decided to make some grapefruit margaritas. I am not a fan of over sugary margarita pre-made mixes, so this is a great alternative. The ruby red grapefruit juice is tart and refreshing, and a perfect complement to the tequila. The addition of triple sec also adds sweetness, but if you like it sweeter you can add a bit of sugar. I like my margaritas with salt on the rim, but if you don’t, put a pinch of salt in the margaritas. It mellows out the acidity of the grapefruit juice and brings out the sweetness.
- 1 cup fresh squeezed ruby red grapefruit juice, about 1 grapefruit
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lime juice, about 4 limes
- 1 cup white tequila
- 1 cup triple sec
- salt // I do a mixture of coarsely and fine ground salt on the rim
- sugar (optional)
- 2 cups ice
- Cut a lime and rub the edge along the edge of your glass. Pour some salt on a plate and gently rub the rim of the glass in it. Set aside to dry.
- Combine the grapefruit juice, lime juice, tequila and triple sec in a pitcher. Stir gently. Taste to see if it needs more sugar.
- Divide the ice among the glasses and pour the mixture over it.
- Alternative: Put the ingredients in a blender with the ice and blend until smooth. Pour into glasses.